free web tracker soliloquies: an example of british english

soliloquies

so・lil・o・quy/- n. [C,U] a speech in a play in which a character talks to himself or herself, so that the audience know the character's thoughts.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

an example of british english

After purchasing some aubergines at a local supermarket, I took the tube into the city centre. There, I saw some humourous programmes which I really favour and watch quite often. Afterwards, I rented a car and filled it up with petrol at a local service station and headed home.

Unfortunately, on my way back, my car broke down on the motorway. Bloody hell. What sort of rubbish do they offer these days...so, I had to call the police on my mobile and took the railway to my flat instead. My day didn't end there though. I dropped my aubergines on the lift I was taking.

What a day.


In American English, this will become...

After purchasing some eggplants at a local supermarket, I took the subway downtown. There, I saw some humorous programs which I really favor and watch quite often. Afterwards, I rented a car and filled it up with gas(oline) at a local gas station and headed home.

Unfortunately, on my way back, my car broke down on the highway. What the hell. What sort of garbage do they offer these days...so, I had to call the police on my cell and took the railroad to my apartment instead. My day didn't end there though. I dropped my eggplants on the elevator I was taking.

What a day.


What a difference...if I do go to Cambridge, I just hope people will not look down on me for using American English instead of their de facto standard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home