free web tracker soliloquies: on yesterday's paper

soliloquies

so・lil・o・quy/- n. [C,U] a speech in a play in which a character talks to himself or herself, so that the audience know the character's thoughts.

Friday, April 07, 2006

on yesterday's paper

The atmosphere in Hiyoshi campus felt a lot younger today with a fresh new wave of jerks with "Rishuruits" in their hands, using their intelligence only to evade tough classes. (lol) I don't know about the statistics, but I saw a lot of new faces and everyone seemed a lot younger. I may need a longer observation though, because I was only there for about 10 minutes.

Since I overslept yesterday and was unable to catch my friend's live in Hiyoshi, I didn't feel like going to school just to hand in a piece of paper. Keio University's system is so inefficient in a way everything is in this country. Why do we have to hand in these so called "entry sheets" and manually take courses afterward online?? What's with all this fuss??

The due date for my entry sheet was today, but I had work today again, like always. So, I ended up sacrificing my lunch break just to put this marksheeted paper in this mailbox, located in the academics center. It took me 30 minutes both ways and that's the reason why my stay there was ridiculously short. As for work, I had a lot of spare time since we didn't really have any orders to input into. I guess this ought to even things out.


You know what comes after gibbering about my everyday life; opinion time. Yesterday, on top page of Nikkei Shimbun (a Japanese equivalent of The Wall Street Journal or The Financial Times) there was this article on an interview that was done on Mr. Okuda of Keidanren. What he mentioned against one of the questions really was sympathetic to my opinion. He mentioned that in Japan, there's a lot of jealous forces that tend to pull people done from success.

I totally agree with his opinion. That's probably the reason why we rarely see leaders or successful entrepreneurs or Nobel Prize winners. While my ELEMENTARY school had Gifted and Talented classes that was designed to grow minds filled with curiosity to another level and the classes were divided levelwise in middle school, none of that is seen here. Of course, you will get "categorized" one way or the other via entrance exams for high school and university, but nevertheless, we don't have any classes that are designed to advance kids that can do things better than others.

No, I'm not saying that I made superior academic performance wherever I went in the past, but people are not equal. No matter how equal people are made legally, nobody can perform completely the same since no one is biologically equal. Therefore, there should be opportunities or options available for some people when he/she's got the ability to achieve something higher than others.

And people shouldn't be jealous about other people being successful, because that will only bring misery to "normal people". (excuse me for the expression) People should find and create a new goal within that successor and make attempts to get what that person got with his/her success. This will improve that country's competitiveness as a whole and will probably do a lot of good for the society, unless that successor is a dictator or something.

What he mentioned in this interview showed how much he understand our society today. He is a successful man and that's undeniable with his background. We should not drag him down just because he did better in business. We should try to follow his road of success and bring one for ourselves, instead of throwing everyone into misery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home