free web tracker soliloquies: unagi

soliloquies

so・lil・o・quy/- n. [C,U] a speech in a play in which a character talks to himself or herself, so that the audience know the character's thoughts.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

unagi

Today was a day designated to eat unagi, based on Japanese chronology which is loosely based on Earthly Branches. I was surprised to see how eels were sold alive at a nearby supermarket. From this action, you may think that I went there to go buy some eels, but dinner today was barbecue. lol

Whenever I see unagi written in alphabet, I instantly remember an episode in FRIENDS where Ross was so obsessed with an imaginary Japanese state of total awareness which he called unagi. This was so difficult to understand, because there is no such culture in existence and unagi basically means "eel" no matter how you define it. Nevertheless, I enjoyed that episode quite well! Well, I should get back to studying once again for my last exam this semester. Adios.
Ross: Well, of course you can defend yourself from an attack you know is coming. That's not enough. Look, I studied karate for a long time, and there's a concept you should really be familiar with. It's what the Japanese call Unagi.
Rachel: Isn't that a kind of sushi?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home