free web tracker soliloquies: ads

soliloquies

so・lil・o・quy/- n. [C,U] a speech in a play in which a character talks to himself or herself, so that the audience know the character's thoughts.

Saturday, December 18, 2004

ads


I watched "Pirates of the Caribbean" today on this subscription channel on cable. At first, I believed that the movie was a childish fantasy with pirates and treasures and princess...that sort of authentic stuff, but I loved it! lol It was really nice, really. Last Saturday, I joined my parents from in the midst of it, so I didn't really understand why Jack Sparrow and Barbossa where having a sword fight, or why the curse broke, but they reaired it today, which allowed me to understand the whole story. Two thumbs up! lol

About the title. I love how the Western culture advertises things, you know, with a sense of humor. I was browsing through Yahoo! Movies today and I saw an ad for the new PlayStation 2. No, I am a retired gamer, so I don't play games much anymore, but the ad popped up on the page anyway, as you can see from the screenshot I've saved.

They are trying to say how much thinner their new model had become, by saying "Use 50% less wrapping paper". Humorous, timely and easy to understand. Here in Japan, they would probably give the actual numbers directly by saying something like...45% smaller than original or they may not say anything about the product at all; some talent may hold the product, smiling, which of course is really dull and boring, especially is you're not interested in showbiz. This is not the only case and I've seen a lot of these humourous and memorable advertisements in various medias.

It may sound like I'm praising the Western culture again, but I just can't give away this one. I LOVE the way they advertise. Sometimes funny, sometimes sarcastic...sarcasm is another thing that doesn't exist here, at least in a humorous way. People always take sarcasm directly here...boring! I wonder how Chandler's going to be able to live here, if there is any case he's going to have to do so...? lol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home