free web tracker soliloquies: 2 minutes

soliloquies

so・lil・o・quy/- n. [C,U] a speech in a play in which a character talks to himself or herself, so that the audience know the character's thoughts.

Friday, June 23, 2006

2 minutes

According to some sources, Tokyu Electric Railway is going to speed up its Toyoko and Meguro lines upon completion of track elevation in September. This timetable renewal is going to make limited expresses and expresses departing from Shibuya station arrive at Yokohama station more quickly and vice versa. Its margin...2 minutes.

No, the news itself is not the part that drew my attention. My reaction toward it was. I couldn't believe myself finding fulfillment from a 2 minute time reduction. Living in a modern society, time is a luxury, but it's quite sad to find out how your consciousness is directed toward that little amount of time.

Japan is a country where a lot of things come and go with chronological precision. Clocks are in your sight whichever direction you look at and somehow, you feel suppressed by time 24/7. In some other countries, people tend to limit the amount of clocks they place in their houses, but here...there's at least one clock in every single room in an ordinary residence. This may sound exaggerating, but more or less, I find this factual.

What's more, time flows really quickly in this country. This can be interpreted both positively and negatively, but I would like my life to have a little leeway. Living in an environment where you are constantly restrained by time is really discomforting. What can be done...?

I haven't got a clear solution to this question yet, but for now, I would like to be a bit more optimistic with my everyday life. That oughta improve my mental haste a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home