free web tracker soliloquies: delay

soliloquies

so・lil・o・quy/- n. [C,U] a speech in a play in which a character talks to himself or herself, so that the audience know the character's thoughts.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

delay

Tokyu Toyoko Line was delayed this morning because apparently, they had some sort of trouble with one of their cars. Fortunately, I had just enough spare time to be on time for the Criminal Law class...my favorite.

Besides that, I don't have anything to write about with an adequate amount of interest. It was an easy-going day in school of which, I spent most of my time hanging out with my friends. Would someone be kind enough to suggest me a topic I can write an essay on? I'm doing a lot less brainstorming lately...believe it or not, I used to post a lot of opinions on various matters before.

Oh yeah. Why is Japanese public transportation system a lot less reliable nowadays? They were widely respected for their efficiency, cleanness and precision. Nonetheless, as you can observe from the picture above, delays and accidents are a lot more common on many of the lines in the Capital Metropolitan Area which is really irritating since our expectations are high from their proud record of reliability.

Is it because of the harsher environment the operators are placed in from a tougher competition, or is because they are not doing their job as well as they used to? I am not an expert in this field, but in case of Tokyu Toyoko line, they have introduced various measures to compete against JR East's Shonan-Shinjuku Line that was introduced in 2001. I assume they are trying to make their service more appealing to us consumers, but the amount of delays that could possibly be connected to their "trials-and-errors" are unacceptable.

Operating a crucial trunk line with precision requires a God-like "know-how", but they must not forget their responsibility from the fact that they are in charge of an important social infrastructure. Their failure would effect thousands in a matter of minutes. I just wish that Japanese public transportation system regains its prestige they used to possess a decade ago, both as a Japanese and as a consumer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home