free web tracker soliloquies: farewell?

soliloquies

so・lil・o・quy/- n. [C,U] a speech in a play in which a character talks to himself or herself, so that the audience know the character's thoughts.

Friday, June 02, 2006

farewell?

I had an awkward day today...in a great way. Things were completely normal until 16:15 with usual classes, usual faces, usual lunch, usual scenery and so on. With an exception of temperature, it was a typical Thursday in sunny June for me. As I have written before, I was really sick of my repetitive life and I was looking for something interesting to do.

Like always, I made a promise with my friend in Linguistic Science class today to go home together. After class, I was waiting at the Yukichi Statue in the front of library and there came my friend with his friend, who also happens to be my friend. She was busily trying to persuade my friend Y to join her in this Farewell Party that was taking place in Shibuya today. Apparently, there were these people from the States who were touring around Japan and were going to leave tomorrow.

Of course, I had no idea whatsoever on who these people were or what they were discussing about. But the longer I listened to her "advertisement", the more interested I had become. So, for some reason, I joined her in this party in which I was a complete stranger to while my friend Y chicked out and went home. What's more, it was my second time seeing her.

I must confess that my decision was right today. I had a wonderful time together with these unknown Americans in the Outback Grill in Shibuya, talking about various topics. For some reason, I ended up in a mature table and I spent most of time explaining Japanese history to Sky. As I have mentioned a couple of times before, I believe explanation is the toughest aspect of English since you have a higher necessity to use longer, more complicated vocabularies.

After enjoying the party, we moved on to a local karaoke bar. This too was a bit awkward, but it provided a favorable environment for intercultural communication. We sang many songs that were famous in both Japan and the United States and all of us enjoyed that short hour there.

Troubles happened after we said goodbye to each other, but this sudden, unexpected interaction with these nice, American southerners reemphasized the importantness of English. My motivation was lowering a bit since I recharged it in New Jersey in February. I really appreciate my friend for providing me with a great opportunity. I can't thank you enough...

Last but not least. This graduate student from Indonesia I met today on the train there was quite a character. I was also fascinated by his knowledge and intelligence. He was a pleasure to talk to...I wish I can see him again.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home